Friday 10 October 2008

One little boy's room...

...slowly coming together.

I finished the cushion cover last night and mad a cushion to go in it, although I ran out of stuffing so it will need some more before I can close the hole in the cushion. Luckily, with it being in a cover, Austy is able to have it in his room tonight and since it's so thin with stuffing, he has decided it makes a snuggly pillow, and went down as soon as we closed his door. A few EBers would know that we had some trouble with him on the first night in his new room, his excuse for all the tears being "but it's not finished". Slowly but surely we are getting there though and here is the evidence:

Some bunting, appliqued curtains and a big new personalised cushion.


Quilting underway (although, VERY slowly but I am determined to get it done). Emma came over today to get me started, generously gave up half of her day off to do it, and also gave me a few pointers. This is my first quilt this size (and the second quilt top I ever pieced - just been sitting dormant for a while), and I have decided to use wool batting so it's quite heavy and tricky to manouvre. I have already had a few "What was I thinking?!" moments but it will be worth all the effort in the end.



BEAUTIFUL new big boy bed, fit for a prince, waiting for a coat of paint tomorrow. I'm so proud of Austy's Dad. He's never built a piece of furniture before but when we couldn't find anything we liked, and those that were close cost over $1000, he decided to attempt it himself and I love it!! He still has to put the slats on and make the trundle drawer but he wants to get the bed part finished so Austy can sleep in it and worry about the trundle drawer afterwards.



Our poor bank accounts are suffering at the moment due to new mattresses for the bed, trundle, and cot, new curtains for bub's room, lots of new bedding for both Austy and bub, a new car seat for Austy, all of the timber and paint we have consumed lately and a huge $565 vet bill to have Gryffin's teeth pulled... poor cat, but we were shocked at the price. So we will let the funds recover a bit (and unfortunately Austy's Dad will be working weekends again for a while) before the trundle drawer gets built and the kids shelves and Austy's toy/book unit gets bought. So the rooms will stay unfinished for a little bit longer.

5 comments:

Little Munchkins said...

The room is coming along nicely. I really love the pillow and the bunting, and tell your DH that he did a fantastic job with the bed.

Emma said...

Full marks to the first-time furniture-builder! Up close it's even more impressive, as you can see the craftmanship in the perfect corners and joins and smooth edges!

Kylie said...

Love the look of the bed - DH is doing a great job with it - Oh and hearing you on the money eaters at the moment - we have a car that seems to be very hungry at the moment

Cass said...

Looks good Joy

Duyvken said...

It looks great! My husband also made the kid's beds and it will always be special for them. I got a couple of small brass plates engraved to put on the beds, a little like labelling a quilt, and that makes it just a little more special. And I am a sucker for a string of bunting!